Studia Occulta Islamica: Vol. I, no. 1.
Call for Papers
Deadline for submissions: 24 May 2012 at 11:13 GMT (13:13 Cairo)
The Societas Occulta Islamica is pleased to announce the launching of its journal: Studia Occulta Islamica.
The inaugural issue will be devoted to the premier Occult Sage of Islamicate Civilization, Abū-l-‘Abbas Aḥmad ibn ‘Ali ibn Yūsuf al-Qurashī al-Būnī (d. 622 H / 1225 CE at Cairo) and his formidable oeuvre, which has been aptly termed the ‘Corpus Būnīanum’ by Jan Just Witkam. Without doubt the most distinguished work of the Corpus Būnīanum is the celebrated Shams al-Ma‘ārif al-Kubrā (The Great Sun of Knowledge) which will be the principal work of focus in the first issue of Studia Occulta Islamica.
Papers in the following areas are welcome from all scholars affiliated or otherwise:
- The Divine names in the Corpus Bunianum
- Manuscript studies of works ascribed to al-Buni
- Angelology and demonology in the Corpus
- The art and sciences of amulets and talismans
- Astrological and celestial symbolism in the Corpus
- Cosmology in the Corpus
- Alchemical symbolism in the Corpus
- ‘Ilm al-Jafr
- Arithmology in the Corpus
- Biographical and historical studies of al-Buni
- Source-critical studies in the Corpus
Submissions will be accepted in English, Arabic, Persian, and Japanese.
Please refer to: ‘Guidelines for Contributors’.
The electronic publication of the Buni number is projected to occur on 1 September 2012 14:33 GMT (16:23 Cairo). Print copies may be made available on demand after this time as well.